HAMOIR barely 15 'walk from the cottage
Who better than Wikipedia to tell you the story of and on HAMOIR
Hamoir is essentially a rural commune. The Ourthe valley crossing the town from south to north contributes to its tourist development mainly in Hamoir and Comblain-la-Tour ( SNCB stations, campsites, hotels, restaurants). The Ourthe successively receives the Néblon in Hamoir, the Bloquay in Fairon and the Boé in Comblain-la-Tour. Hamoir also has a dairy processing plant and numerous shops (mainly in rue du Pont). The town is crossed by Route Nationale 66 which serves as a landmark. In Huy, we speak of the "Hamoir road".
The town is part of four different natural regions:Ardennes in the woods east of Filot, the Calestienne in Filot, the Famenne in a large part of Hamoir, Fairon and Comblain-la-Tour and the Condroz in Sparmont and Lawé .
The commune of Hamoir is made up of three former communes and four villages:
Comblain-Fairon , commune which consisted of two villages:
Hamoir, administrative center since the 1977 merger.
Description of the village
The village of Hamoir is mainly concentrated at the bottom of the Ourthe valley at the point of its confluence with the Néblon as well as on the west side of the hill, about 119 m above sea level at the bridge, 12 km upstream of the confluence of the Ourthe and the Amblève , 39 km from Liège and 24 from Huy .Located mainly in Famenne , the former municipality of Hamoir brought together three "entities": Xhignesse on the right bank downstream, Hamoir-center, and Hamoir-Lassus upstream, also on the right bank.
Origins of the village
Mention is made of "Hamoir" for the first time in a charter dated 895 in which a certain Wéséric gave his vassal Berting property located in Hamor . But quickly the final spelling becomes Hamoir. According to Doctor L. Thiry, the toponym derives from the Germanic Hammer , marking the site of an ancient hydraulic industry.
As detailed later, the Hamoir site has been occupied since the Merovingian period, but it seems that a prehistoric occupation cannot be excluded. In medieval and modern times, the village came under the county of Logne which itself was part of the abbey principality of Stavelot - note that the county crown still overcomes the coat of arms of Hamoir. The county was divided into four districts, including that of Hamoir which also included the villages of Ferrières , Filot , Sy , Logne , Vieuxville and Lorcé .
Before the administrative and religious transfer took place from Xhignesse to Hamoir, the latter was a minimal entity compared to the first which had a high court of justice under Malmédy (although it only has the name) and a parish founded between the viii th and ninth century before being founded in Hamoir, under the leadership ofJean Del Cour , a chapel dedicated to Notre-Dame. Hamoir become However, later the seat of a court of Logne allodial and hereditary mayeurie since at least the fifteenth century. Let us cite the families of Maillen who occupied it between 1580 (Wathieu de Maillen , lord of Ville) and 1733 (Jacques-François de Maillen , lord of Ry), and of Donnea who raised the fief in 1771 (Hubert-François de Donnea) .
In its history, Hamoir had to suffer from the various wars which affected the territory and which were the cause several times of the destruction of the bridge, crossing point on the Ourthe of the mythical road connecting Limbourg and theCondroz and whose origins date back to antiquity. After reconstruction in 1556 due to its poor condition, it collapsed in 1573 during a major flood. It was then rebuilt at the cost of numerous important loans that the inhabitants of Hamoir intended to recover by imposing a right of way. But during the Thirty Years War , the bridge was destroyed by order of the States of Liège to protect the Condroz from the installation of the winter camp of the Piccolomini army. Shortly after its reconstruction in 1637, the bridge was demolished again on the orders of the captain of the company from Ouffet , a nearby village, Jean de Crisgnée. It was not until 1768, after the Liège States had taken over the debts and the right of way from the inhabitants of Hamoir that the bridge was rebuilt. Duringsixteenth and seventeenth centuries, communal property was greatly reduced because of the debts and war damage, aid and numerous reconstructions of the bridge. Unfortunately, it was demolished again in 1940.
A first establishment: the Merovingian cemetery of Tombeux
The oldest traces of an inhabited settlement in Hamoir date back to the Merovingian period. There are indeed in the locality of "Tombeux" on a small hill between the present villages of Hamoir and Xhignesse a funerary necropolis dated sixth century. This is one of the biggest in Belgium with some two hundred and fifty tombs discovered in 1967. The use of the site spans about four generations of the middle of the sixth around the eighth century.The importance of the cemetery tells us that it was a small, essentially agrarian rural community.
The burial field is located on the southwest side of the hill, and stretches approximately 100 meters long and 60 meters wide. The occupation is done gradually from west to east.
The cemetery is characterized by tombs carefully cut from the schist rock of the promontory. Unlike other Merovingian cemeteries of the same era, the orientation of the deceased is North-South and not West-East as was customary at the time. This testifies to a Germanic influence still present in the region. We will also note the importance of certain tombs surrounded by several holes where piles were lodged intended to form a palisade around the tomb of the deceased probably of higher social importance.
Besides the individual graves, the most numerous, the site has several carefully dug and masonry ossuaries, and some common graves. In one of the latter were found rich female votive objects.No doubt a lady of importance was buried there alongside her servants.
Among the objects discovered on the spot, we can cite various jewels and adornments composed of numerous pearls in opaque colored glass paste, belts unhooked and posed alongside the deceased, in chased bronze and iron, some of which are damask, fibulae , including a gold one in a woman's grave. A rich necklace composed of a solid gold pendant is also added to the collection. Weapons in large quantities were also discovered: spears, arrows and scramasaxes being in greater number than swords and shields. Finally, pottery, including blackish biconical vases, and some glass objects. The decoration of these dishes also indicates that a potter's workshop was probably nearby.
The parish: from Xhignesse to Hamoir
The constitution of the parishes at the beginning of the medieval period is of importance which goes beyond the religious character on which they are dependent. Indeed, with the transition from an urban society to a rural society, they structure the rural world and constitute a relay for the dissemination of the faith, of which the parish church constitutes the center of a materialized territory. Evangelized by Saint Remacle , the region of Hamoir keeps a tenacious memory of its passage during the Middle Ages thanks to the pilgrimage of the fountains located in Filot. It is to him that we owe the will to establish the parishes in our regions. Establishments evidenced by a diploma, in particular, from the king of the Franks Sigebert , a pious man, granting land to Saint Remacle for the establishment of a monastery.
The foundation of the old parish of Xhignesse is also closely linked to the abbey of Stavelot .A popular tradition wants that it is Plectrude , wife of Pépin de Herstal , which is at the origin of this foundation at the end of the vii th century, as it was for the neighboring parish of Lierneux . This tradition is reflected in a disputed manuscript of a Laurenty, prior of the monastery of Malmedy , in a degree of the seventeenth century. Other sources indicate that a monastic community dependent Stavelot, moved to Xhignesse, and whose remains are the Romanesque church of the twelfth century that served as Abbey and was buried where the abbot of Stavelot St. Angelin.This thesis is supported by the discovery not far from the village center of a primitive church, the only remains are ground traces of ancient walls and columns, and a series of ancient tombs dating from e viii - ix centuries , destroyed by the Normans.
The church is Gothic Hamoir-Mosan style of the nineteenth century (architect Jean Lambert Blandot ).
Nevertheless, Xhignesse as the spiritual capital of a vast territory between the parishes of Stavelot Lierneux, Tohogne and Ocquier is attested from the late seventh century. But from the twelfth century, the parish was dismembered by establishing new churches in nearby villages, as in Lognes or Ferrières. Finally, in the eighteenth century, it remains of the old parish Xhignesse the villages of Hamoir and Filot, Xhignesse, Lassus and Sy. But in 1737, the Notre-Dame de Lorette chapel was built in the center of Hamoir, and although the church of Xhignesse retained the monopoly on Masses for major celebrations, that did not prevent the church from losing its parish rank in 1803 first for the benefit of Filot and Hamoir then in 1842.
From an architectural point of view, the church of Xhignesse belongs to the Mosan style, but the Rhenish influence is clearly felt. The building is built of limestone and sandstone, materials originating in the region. The plan is described as basilical. The nave consists of a nave with three sections and aisles, and a transept, where, under the triumphal arch hangs a crucifix dated polychrome without certainty of the seventeenth century, which opens with the choir . We will note specifically the presence of a presbytery which precedes the apse, itself characteristic by the presence outside of a remarkable ornamentation of seven blind arcades surmounted by nine niches intended to lighten the vault. Some see in ""this architectural process the start of an evolution which will lead to dwarf or Rhine galleries. "
The church of Hamoir was raised by the will ofJean Del Cour whose heritage was intended for the construction of a chapel, called Notre-Dame de Lorette. It was through the sale of a hundred paintings by the famous painter and sculptor that construction of the church, still visible today, began, and began in 1869 at the site of the disappeared chapel. Dedicated to the Blessed Virgin Mary, the church is said to be ""of ogival style"". Inside you will find The True Portrait of Saint Luke by Jean Del Cour, as well as a carved tabernacle door by the same artist.
The town has a coat of arms which were granted to him March 23, 1925 and again on 30 September 1977. They are inspired by the seal of the local council of the eighteenth century. Older seals already showed a shield held by Saint-Pierre, the local patron saint. The shield shows the coat of arms of the Maillen family, lords of Ahmoir. When the land became possession of the Donnéa family, the coat of arms was replaced by the lion of this family. The composition became the coat of arms of the village in 1925.
Remarkable buildings and monuments
The castle-farm of Renne, located at the end of the possessions of the abbey of Stavelot-Malmédy. Most of the current buildings date fromseventeenth and eighteenth century, at which time they were modified. The first owners were the family of Many already in the fourteenth century. Then, coats of arms engraved in a stone dated 1750, embedded in the body of the building, where a crosier and a miter appear, tell us that this property was in the hands of regular canons of the Premonstratensian order . We will also notice inside a bottom plate of cast iron chimney with the weapons which appear to us as those of the king of Spain and dated 1651.
Castle of Old Furnace located at the entrance of Hamoir, current Town hall of the village, was an old forge and an old furnace already in the fifteenth century. We also find around the castle iron slag.The castle is composed of two buildings, opposite, each flanked by two towers, one main body, the other main building.
The Château de Hamoir-Lassus , upstream, on the right bank, which was the residence of the hereditary mayors of the village. The oldest part of the castle is a small dungeon built in the early fourteenth century. During the eighteenth century, the building was redesigned completely Louis XIV style. It was then the subject of a major overhaul under the impetus of "Puck" Chaudoir, mayor of Hamoir between 1907 and 1920, owner of the castle. Important original outbuildings and the previous repair, there are only old stables and stables that half close a courtyard. Only the facade on the Ourthe side and the small keep were the least touched up. Outside a small castral chapel founded in 1633 by thede Maillen , a chapel dedicated to Saint Pierre is located opposite the castle. Its foundation dates back to the year 1396. In addition to its interior Renaissance style, there are tombstones from the families of Donnea and Maillen .
See also the list of classified real estate heritage of Hamoir .
Jean Del Cour: a figure of Hamoir and the Liège landscape
Jean Del Cour was born in 1631 in Hamoir, died in 1707 in Liège , rue Sœurs-de-Hasquewhere his workshop was established, and buried in the now disappeared church of Saint-Martin-en-Île . Inspired by his carpenter father, he was a highly sought-after sculptor, proof that he enjoyed a certain reputation in his time. Many of his works can be found in the churches of Liège and Belgium. Let us quote for example the series of statues of the Saint-Jacques church in Liège, in linden wood, material for which he was a master, and painted to imitate marble, those of the church of the minor brothers, the chapel of the Saint Sacrament of the collegiate church of St-Martin , the funeral monument of the 9 th bishop of Ghent in theSaint-Bavon cathedral , or the altar of the Herckenrode abbey church today in the Notre-Dame church in Hasselt . But his most famous works from the Pays de Liège undoubtedly remain The Virgin and Child who sits at the top of the Vinâve d'Île fountain, the Three Graces at the top of the Perron in Liège Place du Marché and the work which revealed, the bronze Christ of the Pont des Arches, today preserved at theSt. Paul's Cathedral . After his death, his reputation did not diminish, except in the romantic era, which was more passionate about medieval times, and under the pen of a few critics. His greatest admirers will see him meet Le Bernin during a trip to Rome - when he probably attended only his workshop or some of his collaborators on whom he would have been inspired - and Vauban who would have ordered him a statue of Louis XIV . Two monuments in his honor are worth mentioning: that of Place Saint-Paulraised in 1911 and that of the Place Del Cour in Hamoir in 1927 where a bronze Virgin and Child sits enthroned.
Main article: Jean Del Cour .
Other personalities related to Hamoir
the painter Henri Théatre (1913 - 1985) born in Hamoir.
The municipality counted, at , 3,874 inhabitants (1,939 men and 1,935 women) 2ie a density of 139.35 inhabitants / km² for an area of 27.80 km².
The town of Hamoir is twinned with 5 :
In 1996, the 3 municipalities formalized a triangular twinning.
Hamoir bridge over the Ourthe seen from the mouth of the Néblon
Old houses quai du Batty
Interior of the Church of St. Virgin Mary
Path from the banks of the Ourthe to Tabreux
J. Alénus-Lecerf, Hamoir, Merovingian necropolis , Brussels, National Excavation Service, 1981.
P. Bontemps-Wery (dir.), Jean del Cour and baroque sculpture in Liège , Visé, Wagelmans, 1994.
Y.-M. Danthine, Ch. Gillardin, M. Lambotte, Contribution to the study of the commune of Hamoir, essay on monograph , thesis 2 nd mother tongue-history, unpublished, École normale secondaire Saint Barthélemy in Liège, 1966.
E. De Seyn, Historical and geographic dictionary of Belgian municipalities , vol. I, Turnhout, 1948.
C Gauvard., A. de Libera, M. Zink (dir.), Dictionnaire du Moyen Age , Paris, PUF, 2002.
Georges P., Relics & precious arts in Mosan country, from the High Middle Ages to the contemporary era , Liège, CEFAL editions, 2002.
H. Hasquin (dir.), Communes of Belgium. Dictionary of history and administrative geography , t. II, Brussels, La Renaissance du Livre, 1980-1981.
R. Lesuisse, The sculptor Jean del Cour , Liège, 1953.
Édouard Senny ., L'Église romane de Xhignesse , 3 rd edition, Liège, The tourism federation of the province of Liège, [sd].
L. Thiry,History of the old seigneury and commune of Aywaille, t. I & II, Liège, L. Gothier (ed.), 1938.
R. Siegloff, T. Monasse, In the name of Route 66. Three trips to Europe , Berlin, Böhland & Schremmer, 2013
Notes and references
↑ 3_Population_de_droit_au_1_janvier, _par_commune, _par_sexe_2011_2014_G_tcm326-194205 on the website of the Federal Interior Public Service